Tuesday, March 03, 2009

knitting socks with our kettle dyed worsted weight yarn






A couple of years ago I dyed a bunch of my worsted weight yarn that Zeilinger's Wool Company spun for us straight off the cone. This particular cone, after dyed, weighed 1# 12.2 oz. I had it for sale for the last few years, thinking it would make someone a great sweater.
Well...I decided to start knitting socks for Jerry and I from our yarns (all 5 lines!) and writing patterns as I go. I skeined off 400 yards from the main skein to knit these socks. I used a toe cast on that I used to use, but had gotten away from in going with the flow of the rest of the toe up knitters who use the figure 8 cast on. Nothing against this cast on! It does look nice, but mine looks nicer. (o;
I also decided to use the traditional heel flap, instead of the usual short row heel, in reverse. It looks good and fits wonderfully.
I started out with 12.6 oz and 400 yards. The sock weighs 5.9 oz and the left over is 6.7 oz. It is 10 1/4" from toe to heel and an 8" cuff.
I will be making another pair from the left over for myself. I plan to do the same toe and heel, but I will be doing something a little different. Stayed tuned.
OH! There are 2 skeins of this yarn for sale at etsy. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21788570

No comments: